ESWL (Extra Corporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy)
LITHOTRIPSY or ESWL:
- Extra Corporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy (ESWL) or Simply Lithotripsy
- It is a device for fragmentation of stone; and is used in management of renal , ureteric and bladder stones.
- mechanism of action : It generates shock waves, which are reflected ( with the help of reflector) to the stone .These shock waves cause the fragmentation of the stones.
- Imaging of stones: It is done by high frequency 9" C - Arm Image Intensifier.
- Indications for ESWL (Lthotripsy) :
- Renal stone (calculi) : < 2.5 cm in size
- Ureteric stones (calculi) : < 1.5 cm in size ( only for upper ureteric stones)
(for middle/ lower ureteric calculi, URS ( Ureterorenoscopy) is the preferred mode of treatment)